Do you have 2 UAN? How to deactivate old one?
- Published on November 8, 2017
Do you have 2 UAN? then which one to deactivate is the question?
How does 2 UAN for an employee gets generated?
When an employee joins a new organization and doesn't mention the previous UAN to the new employer then a new UAN gets generated. In such scenarios, 2 UAN are generated for an employee.
Can you have 2 UAN?
The answer is NO, an employee can have only 1 UAN to link it with his/her PF member account.
How to deactivate old UAN?
- First employee needs to fill EPF transfer form13 and submit it to the PF office. Once the amount is transferred from your old UAN to new UAN then write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to deactivate your old UAN. Once they deactivate it then you will get a message to your register mobile number.
- The first step the employee has to do is to raise a transfer request from the previous EPF account to the present EPF account. This can be done on the http://epfindia.gov.in/site_en/For_Employees.php?id=sm2_index.
- The EPFO will then verify the transfer request and make a note of both the UANs linked to the EPF account.
- Once the transfer has been made, the EPFO will block the previous UAN. The deactivated UAN will be of no use.
- The process of merging the UAN accounts is usually done automatically - even without a request.
- Once the EPFO verifies the new UAN, they will link the UAN to the employee’s EPF account.
- The EPFO will contact the employee via SMS, and alert him/her that the old UAN has been deactivated and request the employee to activate the new UAN if he/she hasn’t done it yet.
A short and easy process to deactivate your old UAN.